Below is a brief specification I set myself, followed by a couple of pictures from the build..
The camera obscura needed to be :
- Portable – To fit on the bicycle!
- BIG! Ideally it needs to seat a small group
- Dark – It has to be light tight else it simply won’t work!
- Innovative – using second hand materials wherever possible
- Simple – Simple is beautiful after all, and it’s no good if it takes an age to set up and dismantle
- Cheap – Apparantly having limited resources increases creativity.. so we’ll see!
Here is a recent photograph showing progress!
My design is likely to be somewhere between an obscura and a pinhole camera – check out the blog to see our progress.
The working camera is below. It uses a lens salvaged from a telescope – the 4 inch beauty gives a wonderful picture and gathers lots of light.
And below is the first of many pictures of landscapes, taken on a test up on Woodbury Common.
To see where the camera obscura has been since tour – see www.light-play.org